Tuesday 26 January 2016

Between Good name and Riches which One would You Rather Choose?


This a popular aphorism in my culture that states that good name is better than riches. The Holy Bible also validated this in the book of Proverbs 22:1, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour than silver and gold".
Today, in most countries, societies and cultures of the world, the reverse is becoming the case. Many people prefers
riches above good name. Let's consider the recent scandal in Nigeria, where the funds 2.1 Billions Dollars released for impotation of arms to checkmate the terrorist activities that have claimed the lives and properties of many people in the north eastern part of the country. Yet some very corrupt and greedy politicians deem it morally right to enrich themselves and divert to their selfish interest the funds appriopriated for acquisition of arms for the military forces to root out the terrorists terrorizing the country at the expense of lives and properties. What would you rather do if you are in the position of those politician? Now let us read this story and then i want you to share your opinion between good name and riches.

The story here is about a man known as Bakare Ologbenla.
At the point of death a man, Bakare 
Ologbenla, called his children and
after praying for them, he advised
them to follow his footsteps so that
they can have peace of mind in all
that they do.

The youngest child, Folasade, a female,
looked at others and yelled;

"DADDY, its unfortunate you are dying
without a dime in your bank account. 

Personally, I can't emulate you. 

Other father's that you tag as being
corrupt, thief of public funds left
houses and properties for their children.


Even this house we live in is a rented
apartment. Sorry, I can't emulate you

Jjust go. Lets chart our own course. 
Let's paddle our own canoe. 

Few moments later, their father gave
up the ghost.

Three years later, Folasade went for
interview in a multinational company. 

The interview panel already penciled
down a candidate for the highly covetted
post but wanted to comlete the formality
of interviewing all applicants on the list. 

As soon as Folasade sat before the interview
panel, the Chairman of the committee asked;

"Which Ologbenla is yours" 

Folasade replied, "I am Folasade Ologbenla.
My dad Bakare Ologbenla, now late died a
poor man... 

Then the Chairman cuts in;

"O my God, you are Bakare Ologbenla's
daughter?"

He turned to other members and said this
Bakare man was the one that signed my
membership form into the institute of
chartered administrators and his
recommendation earned me where I am today. 

He did all these free. I dont even know
his address. He never knew me from Adam. 

He just did it for me"

He turned to Folasade;

"I have no question for you, consider
yourself as haven gotten this job. 

Resume tomorrow, your letter will be
waiting for you."


Folasade Ologbenla became the corporate
affairs manager of the company with two
cars, one for official and one for private
use, attached to the office, with a duplex
and two drivers and a salary of N500,000
per month 

Excluding allowances and other Esta-code
when she travel outside Nigeria.

After two years of working in the company,
the Group Managing Director of the company
came from America to announce his intention
to resign and needed a replacement. 

A personality with high integrity was sought
after, again the company's Consultant
nominated Folasade Ologbenla.

In an interview, she was asked the secret
of her success and the sudden sky rocketing
profile and in tears, she replied;

"My daddy paved these ways for me. It was
after he died that I knew that he was
financially poor but stinkingly rich in
integrity, discipline and honesty"


She was asked again, why she is weeping
since she is no longer a kid as to miss
her dad still after a long time. 

She replied;

"At the point of death, I insulted my
dad for being a honest man of integrity. 

I hope he will forgive me in his grave
now. I didn't work for all these, he did
it for me to just walk in"

So finally, she was asked:

"Will you follow your father's foot steps
as he requested?"

And her simple answer was; 

"I now adore the man. I have a big
picture of his in my living room and
at the entrance of my house. 

He deserves whatever I have after God."

Touching right?

Are you like Folasade Ologbenla? 

It pays to build name, the reward
doesn't come quickly but it will come
however long it may take, and it lasts
longer.

===
Well, good name pays. What do you think please share your opinion in the comment box below, and together we can make a difference  and influence others positively.

Let's talk

1 comment:

  1. I would rather prefer good name to ill gotten wealth for it is written, what shall it profit a man if you gain the whole world and lose his soul? In other words, your soul worth more than all the riches of the whole world. Is it not foolish and myopic (short-sightedness) for one to enjoy ill gotten wealth on earth for may be 100 years which is very rare and at the end after the judgement day spend all his life (eternally) in hell fire, in eternal damnation where there would be weeping and suffering for ever? Think about this. Remember the rich man and Lazarus story in the Holy Bible.....

    ReplyDelete