Tuesday 24 May 2016

25 Questions That Will Help You Find and Follow Your Passion

Find and Follow Your Passion - Picture by Milos Milosevic on Flickr25 Questions That Will Help You Find and Follow Your Passion

Finding and following your passion takes hard work, and it isn’t for the faint-hearted.
You need courage to go for it, despite all the fear, overwhelm, and uncertainty.
While this path may not be the easiest, or the most comfortable, I do it because it is the only path that I can see myself taking. It makes me happy, fulfilled, and satisfied.
In this article, I’ve compiled some of the questions I ask coaching clients, friends, and anyone who needs help finding and following their passion.
It’s like a mini-coaching session. You can use these questions for anything, so they aren’t just for finding and following your passion.

Before you read on, grab a pen and a blank sheet of paper and write down the answers to each question, because it will help you eliminate some of the overwhelm, uncertainty, and fear.
And always remember, you don’t have to find your passion in order to start taking action. Many people make it into another excuse.
Your passion will find you when it does. In the meanwhile, take action. Refuse to wait.
1. What do you REALLY want?
A basic question, but extremely relevant.
I’m not talking about the shoulds or shouldn’ts. Forget about what society, your parents, or your friends say.
What is it that makes you come alive? What truly lights the fire within your soul?
2. What would you want if you didn’t have to be unhappy about not getting it?
I first heard this question from Michael Neill, a world-class coach. At first, it boggled my mind, but as I let it sink in, I realized the power of this simple question.
Take your time with this one, and write down your answer. It boils down to what would make you happy right now, even if you didn’t have to reach some future goal.
3. What’s stopping you?
What is preventing you from finding or following your passion, or going after your dreams?
What have you perceived to be standing in your way up until now?
This is a crucial question, because it sets the tone for the rest of the questions. If you don’t know what is stopping you, then how do you know that there is actually something there?
Even if you know what it is, it’s often not there anyway 😉
4. What specifically is it about that that stops you?
Take your answer from #3, and drill down. If you’re afraid, ask yourself what specifically you’re afraid of.
I was afraid when I started Wake Up Cloud in late 2009 (my first post). More specifically, I was afraid of people not liking what I put out there, and not getting validation for my work.
5. How is that stopping you now?
Take your answer from #3. Let’s stick with fear, in this case you’d ask yourself how that is stopping you from moving forward.
In my case, fear made me confused, overwhelmed, and uncertain. It paralyzed me and I painted disaster scenarios in my head that stopped me from taking action.
6. How could you solve those problems?
When you drill down into what’s stopping you, it goes from a thing to a process. Fear might become the pictures in your head, or sensations in your body.
You can brainstorm solutions to your problems, change the way you represent your fear, or eliminate the sensations. These latter things are what I do with my coaching clients.
7. How does X mean that you can’t do Y?
Let’s, again, stick with fear. How does fear mean that you can’t find or follow your passion?
If it’s just you scaring the shit out of yourself, why can’t you move forward anyway? If you’re afraid of what people will think, shouldn’t you be more afraid of what you think, since it’s you scaring yourself?
All of these things are going on inside of you, not outside, and you can still move forward despite being scared.
8. If all your problems were solved, what would you do?
If all of my problems were solved right now, I’d be more bold, take more action, and take things to the next level.
Funnily enough, this is exactly what I’m doing, so keep your eyes peeled.
But sticking with the question, if you had no problems, worries, or fears, what would YOU do?
9. What are your interests?
What do you enjoy doing? When I got started, it was obvious to me. I loved personal development and online business.
These two topics were my life, and still are. I read, listen, and soak up everything I can, but before I got started, I didn’t believe in myself.
I finally realized that I didn’t have to believe in myself to get started, and I took action, which is why you’re reading these very words.
10. What were your interests?
Some people have suppressed their interests, because they’ve been told it’s impossible to do what you love, or they’ve told themselves that.
If you’re one of those people, look into the past. What did you used to enjoy doing? What brought passion, purpose, and fulfillment into your life?
Do you agreed with these principles? Share your views
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment